Student Guide to RTU
Dear Current Students,
You are welcome in the Academic year 2015/ 2016 in Spring semester. Please check these TOP TIPS for you:
- Follow your schedules/timetables and attend all the lectures.
- Each of you should come and inform Foreign Students Department if you are changing your place of residence or contact details.
- If you have debts from the previous semester, please pass them before March 15, 2015.
- If your residence permit is ending, do not forget to contact Foreign Students Department at least !!!60 days!!! before it ends.
Foreign Students Department
STUDENT ID CARD
What is RTU student ID?
A valid RTU student ID proves that you are currently studying in RTU and it also gives discounts, for example, in theatres, museums, clubs, shops, cafes etc.
Where and when can you get the RTU student ID?
Student Services (Studentu Serviss)
Kipsala Campuss, Dormitory Building
22 Azenes Street
e-mail: ssc rtu.lv
|Monday||8am – 8pm|
|Tuesday||8am – 8pm|
|Wednesday||8am – 8pm|
|Thursday||8am – 8pm|
|Friday||8am – 8pm|
|Saturday||10am – 4pm|
What documents do you need?
Passport or ID card.
How much does the RTU student ID card cost?
First year students get it for free. Renewal costs 0.71EUR
To obtain a new student ID card it costs 3.56EUR
How long is the RTU student Id card valid?
One study year (from 1st September till 1st October of the following year)
How much time does it take to make RTU student ID card?
It is the only international card for pupils, students and teachers which serves as its owner’s identity document all over the world, as well as offers the widest range of discounts in the world with more than 550 discounts in Latvia and 40 000 discounts in 120 countries of the world!
Get your card at Student Service!
RTU Career Centre was established in October, 2007, to enable cooperation and communication between the university, students, graduates and companies as well as to assist student integration in the labour market and development of his/her career.
The Career Centre main tasks are:
- To start and maintain cooperation with enterprises
- To offer support at programm choose, stydy process and transition to labor market
- To consult students about job and practice possibilities and newest trends in the labor market
- To organize different workshops to help students improve their competiveness in the labor market
- To manage educational projects, like Career day, business interest club «Briefcase», Golden fund, Student business incubator etc.
The Career Centre offers to students:
- Centre Library resources, where students can find books about personality development
- Various career support projects
- Help with job and practice search (vacancies publishing)
- Workshops about self and career development topics
- Guest lecturers workshops
- Individual career counsultations for pupiuls and students
- Individual psychological counsultations
All services are free of charge!
The Career Centre has initiated and implemented several projects since its establishment in 2007.
RTU Student Business Incubator was established in February, 2010. Thisproject gives students the opportunity to implement their business ideas using RTU and external resources and incubator privileges (infrastructure, consultations, legal and accountancy service, etc.) offered for one year. Student Business Incubator goals are to promote and to support RTU students and graduates convincing them that a new, perspective, creative, innovative, competitive business idea might be implemented and to motivate students to act as merchants, contributing to economic development, creating jobs and rising local businesses competitiveness. To apply for Student Business Incubator potential participants must complete application form and create a presentation of business idea.
RTU Career Day is organized annually since 2004. This is a day when students can meet the representatives of enterprises in the exhibition centre and find job or practical placement, as well as get information about particular companies. Different workshops are held during this day, for example, how to write a CV, cover letter and how to prepare for a job interview etc.
Business Interest Club “Portfelis” (Briefcase) was established in 2010. The project’s aim is to provide opportunities for students of technical specialities to learn business and management through theoretical lectures and practical exercise. Objectives of the project are to promote support for student business initiatives and to promote student cooperation with enterprises
To develop students’ social skills the Career Centre organizes regular workshops for students, for example, “What is career?”, “How to “sell” yourself?”, “How to deal with stress before exams?”, “Leadership”, etc.
RTU Scientific Library
5 Paula Valdena Street, Riga
Phone: +371 67089146, Fax: +371 67089474
INTERNATIONAL STUDENT LIFE INSURANCE
The Higher Education Export Association (Latvia) together with ERGO Life Insurance SE Latvian Branch have developed International Student life Insurance for both EU and non-EU citizens.
It is especially designed for International students obtaining their higher education in the Baltic countries. This Health Insurance policy programme corresponds to the criteria for Obtaining Residence Permit in Latvia and programme includes both out-patient and in-patient services.
Please click here to see detailed description of health insurance programme.
The cost for the insurance EUR 161.40!
If you have more questions or wish to sign up for please contacts firstname.lastname@example.org
A portal where you can find information about your studies! When you will get your Ortus account login and password compare the timetable you received from FSD with the classes that are shown on ORTUS! Check your Ortus account often to see what courses you have to take, what grades you have gotten, changes on your class scheduled etc. It is important to follow the information on ORTUS!!!